I love the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. There’s a warmth around the home with the earth tone fall decor and crafts the kids make. If you have children at home who love doing crafts consider making your own place cards this Thanksgiving, even if it’s just the immediate family gathering around for your meal. It will add a touch of extra-special sweetness to the table, I promise.
Easy DIY Thanksgiving Place Cards
These adorable pumpkin place cards are ever so easy to make and the supplies to make the same are extremely affordable if you shop on OrientalTrading.com (And yes, they have tons of other Thanksgiving items to complement these.)
While you can swap out materials for your preference, I’ve included the item numbers for the materials used from the Oriental Trading site to make things a little easier on you. (You’re welcome)
St. Pats Gelatin Shot Glasses – Orange (#33/281) or Orange Polka Dot Snack Cups (#3/5548)
Gold Glitter Craft Sticks (#13670206)
Green Glitter Ribbon (#13689085)
Mini Glue Dots (#65/80008)
A Pair Of Scissors
Optional: Autumn Leaves Tea Bag Covers (#3/8757) or Colored Construction Paper (#73/64775)
1. Cut a small opening on one of your two orange shot glasses. It should be big enough for two craft sticks to pass through the same.
2. Take two glue dots and attach the same on either side of the mouth of one of the shot glasses.
3. Carefully stick the other glass to the one with the glue dots on, ensuring the mouths allign well to form the pumpkin base.
Once done, add a glue dot in the middle of one craft stick and at the end so as to ensure both craft sticks stick to each other
and to the bottom of the shot glass once passed through the opening.
Remember not to put a glue stick on the tip of the exposed craft sticks as we’ll be propping the place card between the sticks.
4. Cut a green glitter ribbon, approximately two inches long and tie the same at the base of your “pumpkin stalk”.
Now take your scissors, with the blades facing upward, place the ribbon on one of the blades, holding the ribbon with your thumb and pull the ribbon across the blade quickly. This will cause the ribbon to curl.
And there you have it…
an adorable pumpkin!
5. To make your place cards you can use heavy weight construction paper or the back of the adorable fall tea leaves cover I used.
Once you finish writing a name on the card, prop the card between the two craft sticks.
You could even use the pumpkins as a cute complementary decor addition to your Thankful Turkey.