I’m a huge fan of crafts that are kid friendly and double up to be something that can be used around the house.
I don’t use coffee filters and strangely enough I found an opened pack of filters in one of the kitchen drawers. Well, there’s no point letting those go to waste right?
How to make coffee filter butterfly accessories
This is a great craft to do with toddlers, preschoolers and younger elementary school aged children. Older children can do this independently without any problems.
Paint- different colors (I just used good ol’ finger paints)
Pipe cleaners – any color(s)
A pair of scissors
1. Have your child paint one side of each coffee filter completely. I poured paint into separate glasses of water and had Baby Girl use that to paint the filters. True, it was a little messier than otherwise but it allowed colors to run into each other and looked so pretty once dry.
2. Now colorfully paint either side of each clothespin. Set these to dry alongside the painted filters.
3. Once the filters and clothespins are dry, take a painted coffee filter, pinch the middle and gently slip this into an opened clothespin and allow it to clamp shut over the area being pinched. 4. Take two wiggly eyes and attach glue dots on the back of each and stick this onto the clothespin.5. Now take a pipe cleaner, cut it in half and roll either end to form the butterfly’s antennae. Stick each antenna to the back of the clothespin face that has the eyes stuck on the same.And there you have it. A beautiful Spring butterfly. She’s a multi-functional accessory.
Stick permanent glue dots or an adhesive magnetic strip on her back and she turns into a fridge magnet art/note holder.Make several butterflies and hang them down your child’s (or yours!) bedroom curtainor even on a clock.This would also make a gorgeous bookmark, don’t you think?
Can you think of other ways you can use this pretty accessory?
Since you’re in the Spring mood, check out these other great Spring + Easter projects
- Easter Charm Bracelet – Style on Main
- DIY Chic Easter Feather Wreath – Busy Creating Memories
- Coloring Eggs with Sand for Easter – Diana Rambles
- Gilded Eggs for Easter – How Was Your Day?
- Easter Chick Pudding Cups – Cutefetti
- Lemon Mint Foot Soak – Food Fun Family
- Caterpillar and Dragonfly clothespins – Views from the ‘Ville
- Easy Spring Bud Vases – Upstate Ramblings
- Sock Bunny Craft – Momma Lew
- Coffee Filter Butterfly Accessories – Mommy Snippets