To make one’s 4th of July celebrations a success, having a smashing dessert is key. And with strawberries in season, what could be better than a fresh strawberry cake topped with cream, blueberries and more strawberries?
This wonderful recipe was shared by a friend and definitely warrants a try.
What makes this cake a winner is the generous use of fresh fruit within the cake and on the garnish. Yum!
I did mine with 2 hungry, excited,
patient little ones so the final outcome isn’t as refined as I would have wanted it to be…
but that’s not important, right?
- 1 cup mashed strawberries. If these are tangy, add sugar to the same
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk for stand by
- Heavy whipping cream or table cream Quantity is based on how much one would like slathered on the cake
- Blueberries Quantity is based on how much one would like garnished on the cake
- Slithered strawberries Quantity is based on how much one would like garnished on the cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a vessel and put it aside
- In another vessel, take the melted butter and all the sugar. Cream this mix well with an electric mixer
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well.
- Add the vanilla essence
- Slowly add portions of flour and then strawberries, alternating to end with flour. Mix this mixture well.
- If the mix seems too thick and less of a cake batter consistency, add milk to it, little at a time, till the desired consistency is reached.
- Grease and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or till well baked. (Fork test: pierce the middle of the cake with a fork, if this comes out dry, it's ready to come out.)
- Take the baked cake out and wait till it cools.
- Once cooled, apply a generous lather of cream. (As if this were frosting)
- Finish off by decorating the cake to resemble the American flag.
- Now pop the finished cake into the fridge and serve it chilled.