For a while now we’ve been holding back from buying store bought chicken nuggets. The number of ingredients on that packet that I just can’t pronounce is reason enough to agree that most often the “natural” nuggets are doused with just as many preservatives as regular nuggets.
So this morning, with a pound of boneless chicken breast sitting in a bowl looking me in the eye, I decided to take the plunge and do it.
I was going to make homemade chicken nuggets and they weren’t going to be doused in oil.
Oh yes, they were going to be baked!
Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets
I have to admit this was one of the easiest and quickest, kid-approved dishes I’ve put together in a long while…
And yeah, not only are these healthy but they’re also super yummy too!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast cleaned and cubed into nugget sized pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk. Take a tbsp of vinegar and put it into 1/2 a cup of milk. In 5 mins it will curdle and voila...buttermilk!
- 2 cups breadcrumbs I used a mix of zesty and plain. You can do just plain if preferred
- 1/2 - 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg whip it and set aside for the coating process
- Soak the chicken in the buttermilk for about 10 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Place in separate bowls a) The breadcrumbs mixed with pepper b) The whipped egg c)The soaked chicken nuggets in buttermilk
- Begin the coating process, in this order: Dip the buttermilk doused chicken nugget into the egg with one hand and coat the nugget in the breadcrumb mixture with the other hand.
- Place the coated nuggets on a foil covered pan (or a greased pan)
- Pop your tray into the oven for 15-20 mins.
- Pull the tray out once you see the nuggets turning a golden brown color.