For a while now we’ve been holding back from buying store bought chicken nuggets. The number of ingredients on that packet that I just can’t pronounce is reason enough to agree that most often the “natural” nuggets are doused with just as many preservatives as regular nuggets.
So this morning, with a pound of boneless chicken breast sitting in a bowl looking me in the eye, I decided to take the plunge and do it.
I was going to make homemade chicken nuggets and they weren’t going to be doused in oil.
Oh yes, they were going to be baked!
Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets
I have to admit this was one of the easiest and quickest, kid-approved dishes I’ve put together in a long while…
And yeah, not only are these healthy but they’re also super yummy too!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast cleaned and cubed into nugget sized pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk. Take a tbsp of vinegar and put it into 1/2 a cup of milk. In 5 mins it will curdle and voila...buttermilk!
- 2 cups breadcrumbs I used a mix of zesty and plain. You can do just plain if preferred
- 1/2 - 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg whip it and set aside for the coating process
Soak the chicken in the buttermilk for about 10 minutes
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
Place in separate bowls a) The breadcrumbs mixed with pepper b) The whipped egg c)The soaked chicken nuggets in buttermilk
Begin the coating process, in this order: Dip the buttermilk doused chicken nugget into the egg with one hand and coat the nugget in the breadcrumb mixture with the other hand.
Place the coated nuggets on a foil covered pan (or a greased pan)
Pop your tray into the oven for 15-20 mins.
Pull the tray out once you see the nuggets turning a golden brown color.