Exchanging SWAPS is an age-old Girl Scout tradition. (SWAPS stands for Special Whatchamacallits Affectionately Pinned Somewhere.) They’re sweet reminders of a fun event, camp-out, or even a sweet World Thinking Day souvenir of sorts. The easiest girl scouts SWAPS are not always muti-functional, but this one could even be transformed into earrings for your girl scout!My daughter needed to make 100 SWAPS for a Girl Scouts event this past weekend, and while that doesn’t seem much to seasoned Girl Scouts, I have to admit the thought of doing 100 SWAPS did have this novice Girl Scout Mom a little concerned, especially as the Girl Scout movement strongly encourages everything to be girl-led and independently made.
After a lot of Pinterest searching, craft box rummaging, and brainstorming, we decided to create our own SWAPS using materials we had on hand. And boy, are these are the easiest girl scout SWAPS, I promise!
Large spacer beads. (We had some flower beads lying around. You could use these clay flower beads instead. Pick something based on the event’s theme. Ours was a Mother-Daughter tea party around Mother’s Day so the floral beads were perfect. )
Safety pins (We used artist safety pins)
A pair of scissors
1. First, cut each pipe cleaner into half. You will be able to make 2 SWAPS from 1 pipe cleaner. Now take one end and twist it to form a small knot.
2. Once done, thread the flower bead through till the knot. (You can also thread the flower and then twist to form the knot. Whatever works easiest for your daughter)
2. Now thread in 8 perler beads- colors and designs of choice.
3. Finish it off by forming a loop and twisting the end of the pipe cleaner at the base of the loop, ensuring the poky end does not stick out.
4. Complete the SWAPS by adding a tag with your daughter’s name and troop number on one side. ( I created Dottie’s tags using my Silhouette Portrait machine.) On the other side of the tag, we wrote down “Proverbs 31:30” (“Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.)
Now isn’t that the easiest Girl Scout SWAPS your scout has made?
Don’t forget to check out our free Girl Scout Thank You Printable bookmark for your troop’s cookie and fall product sales. These are such sweet thank you gifts for the friends, family, and people of the community that support our girl scouts.
And with an annual Bridging/re-dedication ceremony to attend, these Brownie Bites will be a hit!