We celebrated Baby Girl’s 2nd birthday this past weekend and going with her love for all creatures great and small, we decided to host a Little Explorers themed party at a local butterfly center.
I will post more about the celebrations in a later feature but thought I would quickly share what we served foodwise. These can be adopted for an explorer themed party, a safari birthday, a Dora the Explorer party, Diego celebrations or even a wildlife themed birthday.
The Best Food Ideas for Little Explorers at a Party
Tardigrades or Silverfish
aka croissants stuffed with chicken salad or egg salad
Help the snails back into their homes
aka chicken nugget sliders.
aka peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cut out using butterfly cookie cutters.
Stick Insects and Red Beetles
aka celery sticks, mini carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes.
Caterpillars and ladybugs.
aka grape kebabs (using lollipop sticks) and halved strawberries.
Grubs in a bun
aka hot dogs.
Wings and Antennae
aka Chips! (The wings are packs of potato chips while the anetannae are Cheetos and the like.
aka cruched Oreos sprinkled over a homemade buttercream frosted Oreo cupcake, in both chocolate and vanilla. (I used butterfly cupcake wrappers with paper butterfly toppers.)
- 1/2 cup butter- unsalted - at room temperature I like using Kerrygold butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar/powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Put the butter in a bowl and add a cup of sugar at a time, while mixing with a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Mix all the ingredients till well combined.
- You can add a drop of food coloring if you want to color the frosting.
- *To make chocolate buttercream, add 1/4 cup cocoa powder
The initial plan, though, was to use candy melts and make edible butterflies, using a butterfly candy mold but I was hard pressed on time to get that done!
Water from the brook
aka water bottles.
Such easy ideas and ones that make the party theme come together in a much nicer way! Do you have any ideas to add?