Two days ago while rushing to get breakfast ready before the kids left for school, I realized we were out of bread. Since both kids prefer taking a loaded sandwich for lunch, I had to think of another option. It didn’t help that I’d forgotten to buy flat-bread too, so I decided to improvise on my Easy Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Muffins recipe.
My kids love anything with cheese on it (or in it!) and spinach and you can never go wrong with pizza anything with my two! Keeping that in mind, I whipped up a batch of 12 yummy Spinach Cheese Pizza Muffins for lunch in less than 20 minutes. (Can you tell, I feel accomplished?)
Considering both kids and Hubs gave this recipe their stamp of approval, I need to document it to ensure I have it available for reference the next time I’m in a lunch fix!
Spinach Cheese Pizza Muffins
Remember this is a forgiving recipe. You can add, remove ingredients to the batter to make your own Pizza Muffin creations.
- 2 cups organic all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter- unsalted
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda mixed in 1/2 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups of shredded Italian cheese I used Organic Valley's Italian blend- mozzarella, provolone, romano & parmesan cheeses- 2 cups to mix in the batter, 1 cup to top the muffins prior to baking.
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups fresh spinach-chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In your mixer, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together.
- Add the milk, butter and sauce to the dry mix and combine.
- Now add 2 cups of grated cheese + spinach and mix well.
- Spoon the prepared batter into your muffin pans. (This will make 12 regular sized muffins and 24 mini muffins or 24 regular sized muffins)
- Generously top each muffin with the remaining cup of cheese
- Place the trays into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes (Or till the muffins are golden brown)
With the holidays coming up and tons of activities planned, these will make great grab-and-go meal options while on the go!