My kids love homemade biscuits and this morning I thought I would make a few extras to add in the kids’ lunchboxes along with sausages and shredded cheese. But as I pulled things out of the refrigerator, the vision of shredded cheese falling all over the place and a sausage rolling out as my soon to be 4 year old picked up his sandwich, was enough to convince me to take another route.
I needed to put all the contents of his “sandwich” into one compact pocket. Thus the birth of my …
Easy Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Muffins.
They’re not what you would call healthy considering the buttery goodness, oodles of cheese and sausage bits in the same, but they’re definitely healthier than store bought biscuits with a ton of preservatives and…
Because I had extra batter, I spooned the extras into my mini pan, so the kids got to take regular sized muffins and mini muffins to school.
These Easy Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Muffins will make a great addition to your breakfast table or even make a popular after school snack.
- 2 cups organic all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda mixed in 1/2 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 Italian seasoned sausages I used Bilinsky's organic chicken-cooked and chopped into small bits
- 1 or 1 1/2 cups of shredded Italian cheese (I used Organic Valley's Italian blend- mozzarella, provolone, romano & parmesan cheeses)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In your mixer, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together.
- Add the milk to the dry mix and grate the butter into the mix
- Now add the grated cheese, sausages and mix well.
- Spoon the prepared batter into your muffin pans. (This will make 12 regular sized muffins and 24 mini muffins or 24 regular sized muffins)
- Place the trays into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes (Or till the muffins are golden brown)
Do you have a favorite “compact” breakfast recipe?
(Feel free to share the link in the comments. I would love to try out something new.)