A few weeks ago Dottie tasted her very first Chicken Tortilla Soup and begged me to look up a recipe and make some for her. Some time last week, I finally had all the essential ingredients to make the soup…
except I decided to do a little improvising with the spices and chose to avoid using chicken broth. I also chose to throw in a cup of rice which eventually resulted in the recipe changing direction and becoming a brand new dish all together. Oh and did I mention I forgot an essential ingredient- the tortillas?
So the next best option was to dig into one of The Better Chip packs that sat on our dining table.
With flavors like Chipotle and Jalapeno, I figured it wouldn’t harm my recipe if I swapped out the fried tortilla strips with tortilla chips. And after sampling both flavors, I decided to go with the Jalapeno flavored chips to add that extra spice kick that my family loves.
So after all the additions, substitutions and modifications, my family was served a wholesome, hearty meal. I call it my recipe for…
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Rice .
In under 4 hours, this meal was ready and everything was thrown into one pot effortlessly.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb organic chicken breast chopped into small cubes/nuggets uncooked
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped or sliced into fine ringlets
- 2-3 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1 can organic fire roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1 can organic black beans drained
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf crushed
- 1 cup cilantro-chopped
- The juice for 1-2 small limes
- 1 cup uncooked rice I used basmati as it cooks fast, is aromatic and flavorful
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 pack of The Better Chip Jalapeno flavored tortilla chips
- Add all the ingredients except the rice, avocado, lemon and tortilla chips into the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Now add the cup of rice (since basmati rice cooks fast), stir the mixture and cook on high for another hour.
In 3 hours your Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Rice should be ready. Serve this with crushed avocado, a squeeze of lemon and a generous topping of crushed (not powdered) The Better Chip Jalapeno flavored tortilla chips.