This post contains editorial samples and/or affiliate links to products I recommend. While this adds no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission on any sales made.
I know, first-hand, the effects smoking can have on the person smoking and the people in his/her circle. I had a family member who was an active smoker. He could go through a pack of cigarettes in a day. And what began, possibly, as a cool, social look, ultimately was the cause of his demise.
It sounds harsh, cold and unkind but that’s the truth.
Smoking not only affected his life but also the lives of those he loved.
10 reasons why you or your loved one should quit smoking.
Smoking doesn’t just affect the active smoker but also the people around him who inhale that smoke, the passive smokers.
Here are 10 reasons that should convince one to quit smoking cigarettes altogether:
1. Smoking cigarettes have been proven to be the cause of heart disease, strokes, oral cancer, respiratory diseases, weakened lungs, teeth erosion and other chronic ailments. (Images can get pretty graphic so I’m restraining from adding any pictures here. Google the term “effects of smoking” and you will see what I mean.)
2. An active smoker starts to develop very foul smelling breath that actually becomes quite repulsive to the people around him/her.
3. Many don’t know this but smoking affects ones taste palette and keenness to smell.
4. CDC’s research shows that out of 2.4 million deaths that occur in the U.S. annually, over 480,000 are caused by smoking. (That’s about one in five deaths!)
5. An active smoker may find it harder to conceive. The effects of smoking can also affect a baby’s development and growth in the womb. (Studies have proven active smokers have had still births, pre-term deliveries, ectopic pregnancies and babies born with orofacial clefts.)
6.Smoking has its toll on ones skin and considerably ages a person in appearance with wrinkles and skin discoloration.
7. Active smoking can also cause a resistance to insulin, thereby putting the person at greater risk of type 2 diabetes.
8. Second-hand smoke or smoke inhaled by passive smokers is just as fatal especially for children. It causes severe asthma and other respiratory diseases, as well as developmental and learning delays. It is also proven that passive smoking children fall sick more often.
9. Passive smokers are at high risk of getting brain tumors, lung cancer and throat cancer. (Second hand tobacco smoke has been tested to have over 7000 chemicals, of which 70 of those chemicals are known to cause cancer.)
10. Passive smokers are also susceptible to heart disease and heart-related complications. Research shows that an estimated 42,000 deaths from heart disease, every year, is a result of passive smoking/involuntary smoke inhalation from cigarettes.
As we get ready to enter into a new year and if you smoke or know someone who does, even if no other resolutions are made, make quitting smoking on top of your/their list. If not for you, at least do it for family.
The journey to quitting is not easy. The withdrawal symptoms are real. The craving to pick up a cigarette will be strong but once you make up your mind, with prayer, self-control and help, it can be done.
With CVS taking the decision to go tobacco free last year, the CVS pharmacy and the MinuteClinic offers more than just the required resources towards smoking cessation. Programs with individualized consultation sessions, one-on-one coaching, and personalized treatment plans are offered to any person willing to take that step towards quitting smoking.Click on this image to learn more
And contrary to what one may think, the cost involved is not a lot when you think of the life changing health impact this will have on the person concerned and his/her family.
Cost of the Smoking Cessation Program offered by the Minute Clinic is $69 for an initial assessment and visit and $59 for subsequent follow up visits and coaching sessions. It is recommended to consult with ones insurance provider because visit costs might be covered under ones insurance plan.
This is one time people will cheer on your decision to be a quitter!