My Mama makes the most refreshing salads in the whole wide world…erm so this is a tad bit of an exaggeration, but her salads are honestly yum! So the other day when we had guests coming over, I asked her for suggestions on what I could whip up on the salad front.
She asked if I had lemons…check
greens…check (I actually had a pretty neat assortment of greens that morning!)
The perfect ingredients for a delicious Lebanese salad…
Wikipedia describes Fattoush as a salad predominantly remembered for the toasted pita bread pieces. Traditional Fattoush includes tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and a leaf vegetable called purslane.
Now this recipe does not include all the traditional ingredients, so this is my Mama’s version.
And it’s one worthy of recommendation!
- 3 cups of greens. I used a mix of Kale, Spinach, Chard, Arugula and Mizuna
- 1 1/2 cups lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1 cup organic feta cheese crumbles
- 1 cup pita chips/ toasted pita bread bits Don't crumble or powder this!
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon juice.
In your salad bowl, tear up your lettuce leaves and greens into medium sized shreds. (The shreds shouldn't be too small nor too large. Approximately 1' shreds are more convenient to eat!)
Add in your chopped olives and toss.
In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil and lemon juice. (You can choose to generously coat your greens with the dressing or just lightly coat the leaves)
Only add the dressing, just before you take the salad onto the table.
Add to this mix, the feta cheese crumbles and pita chip/ toasted pita bread bits.
Toss lightly and serve immediately.
.This tastes delicious with barbecued chicken and tortillas!
* Remember the ingredient measurements are not fixed. You can reduce/add based on what your family’s taste-buds enjoy. This recipe has been put together based on what my family enjoyed *
This is one salad your guests will keep going back to the table for more!
Have you tasted a salad that just makes your heart sing? Tell me about it.