Did you just stop and re-read the title again?
That’s what it says…
Chocolate Walnut Spinach Brownies!
Spinach and Brownies?
Well, this Mama will do anything to sneak “healthy” into her kids’ treats.
And honestly your kids won’t even know there’s spinach is in this because those crunchy, green leaves of iron goodness are dry sauteed and pureed.
So you don’t have to worry about the little people finding out about your big secret!
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups organic all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rich cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bunch organic spinach chopped
- 2-4 tbsps water to help puree the sauteed spinach
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients-flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip up the eggs and sugar.
- Add to the mix the butter and vanilla.
- While this is being done, dry saute the chopped spinach in a pan.
- When the spinach shrinks, remove the leaves from the pan and begin to puree with 2 tbsps of water. Add more water if you see the blend needs a little liquid to puree 100%.
- Add the spinach puree to the wet mix and blend well.
- Once blended, gradually add the dry mix.
- Finally fold in the walnuts (and chocolate chips, if being added)
- Now pour the prepared brownie batter into 13 x 9 x 2 inch greased baking pan.
- Bake the mix for 25-30 minutes or till your toothpick comes out dry when you test to see if the brownies have baked to perfection!
Once you try these you will never shudder at the thought of spinach in brownies!