With 2014 rolling in, a bunch of resolutions and must-dos follow suit. And with our daughter arriving at the end of February, preparing for her arrival is also slowly kicking into high gear.
That’s why a box crammed with Handi-foil containers to try out, could not have come at a better time.
You would know, by now, based on earlier posts, that we’re huge Handi-foil users . Not just for entertaining or for food gifts but also for our personal use at home.
Now with baby arriving soon, we’ve begun doubling meals in our large Handi-foil pans, using half the portion for the meal that day and stashing the rest away, in the freezer, in one of the smaller aluminum containers with lids. This way, when baby arrives, our family continues to enjoy a healthy, home-cooked meal and we can focus on family bonding time versus slaving over a hot stove.
One recipe I enjoy repeating is my Spicy Chicken Vegetable Pasta
Now this isn’t “Help! Where’s the water?” spicy. There’s just a teensy kick to it though you can always crank up the spice levels. (Why, even my 3 year old loves this!)
This is packed with healthy goodness in every form.,,
from the organic chicken, to the wheat pasta used and the assorted veggies.
Yes, this dish is a winner, if I have to say so myself!
You can also switch this out with your meat of choice but we prefer chicken, mainly because white meat is considered healthier and the kids have a taste preference for the same.
Also free to add whatever veggies you have lying around in the refrigerator. There are no set rules as to what you can throw in!
Here’s my Spicy Chicken Vegetable Pasta Recipe
- 1/2 a pack of organic wheat pasta we like using the spiral shaped germelli pasta
- 1 lb organic boneless chicken, cubed into tiny nuggets or cut into shreds
- 2 medium size onions sliced fine
- 1 finely chopped tomato big
- 1 serrano pepper optional
- 2 tsp ginger and garlic paste or use freshly ground garlic and ginger
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp garam masala if you don't have this, improvise by taking 1" cinnamon stick, 2 cardamon pods, 2 cloves and grind them till they're finally powdered and use this instead
- 2 cups fresh organic veggies (corn, carrots, beans, cauliflower, green peppers, kale, spinach, chard)
- 2 tbsp organic tomato ketchup
- Freshly ground black pepper to season
- Salt to season
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon optional
- Olive oil to saute
Cook the pasta till it's al dente and set it aside.
In a pan, add 2-3 tbsps of oil and throw in the onions to saute till golden brown
Add the serrano peppers (if using the same) and the chopped tomato and saute till the tomato pieces get pulped.
Add the paprika, coriander, cumin, garam masala, pepper and salt, Fry for a minute or so.
Add to this the raw chicken nuggets/shreds and leave till cooked.
Now add the tomato ketchup, mix well and then add all the veggies. (Since I had all my veggies frozen prior, it didn't take long to cook.. )
Saute till the veggies are slight cooked and still crunchy/crispy.
Set aside and season finally with any additional salt, pepper and/or lemon juice.
I can’t wait to hear what your family thinks, after you try this out for your next meal.
What’s your favorite, healthy, go-to meal/dish?