This has to be one of my family’s favorite recipes that can be modified any which way you want it. I love that I can boil veggies with the marinara sauce while cooking, pop the sauce in the blender and layer it in the dish without the kids even knowing they’re relishing the “healthies” like carrots and spinach!.
- 1 8 oz pack of spaghetti
- 1 25 oz bottle of store bought Marinara sauce We love Prego but you can choose your fave or make your own
- 2 tablespoons pesto store bought or home made
- 1 lb ground beef/chicken/turkey
- 1 Onion minced
- 2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Grated Parmesan Cheese to garnish
- Boil water and add spaghetti strands to cook. (Ensure you don't over cook this!)
- While your spaghetti is getting done, saute the diced onion in the olive oil.
- One this turns golden brown, add to this the ground meat/poultry.
- (Optional- season this with some freshly ground pepper powder based on taste)
- When the meat/poultry begins to turn color add the marinara sauce and allow this to cook till the meat/poultry is well.
- Throw in the shredded Cheddar cheese to allow this to melt into the sauce mixture well.
- Add to the sauce mixture the pesto sauce, mix well and then take this off the stove.
- Now take your baking dish and layer the meat sauce first followed by the spaghetti then the sauce and finally top this with more spaghetti.
- Garnish the top generously with some Parmesan Cheese
- Cover the dish with a foil and place to bake in a preheated over at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.Bake an additional 5 minutes uncovered.
- Serve hot with slices of garlic bread. Yum!
Do you have a great recipe you’d love to share? Come link up your favorite recipe posts below…