This post contains editorial samples and/or affiliate links to products I recommend. While this adds no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission on any sales made.
A few days ago, my son came home saying he had to take a Christmas ornament to school to put on the Kindergarten Christmas tree. I figured it would be a great idea to make one and considering we had the rest of the evening ahead of us I figured we could make the clear glass ornament featured in this pin.
Well somehow a bunch of things happened right after ( doesn’t it always when you have three kids?) and I remembered we had to make the ornament a few minutes before family prayer and bedtime!
With just a few minutes to spare, we rummaged through my craft drawer, grabbed a gold colored ornament off our tree and improvised.
Easy DIY Reindeer Ornament Your Child Can Make
The one we made for my son’s grade level tree used the last of my brown pipe cleaners. So to re-create the steps for you, I’ve substituted with red pipe cleaners. They’re cute but not as cute as the brown ones.
Materials Required Per Reindeer Ornament:
1 gold ornament (Does not need to be glass)
2 googly/ wiggly eyes.
1 red pipe cleaner or red jewel or red pom pom (for the nose)
2 dark brown or black pipe cleaners (for the antlers)
Hot glue gun/glue dots
1 pair of scissors
1. Take one brown pipe cleaner (I used red as I used my last brown one for Little Man’s school ornament.) Fold it in half, making sure about 2 inches is left out on one side. Cut the 2inch bit off, fold it in half and cut that again.
Take the gold ornament, hot glue or put glue dots around the ornament cap’s edge and wrap the longer pipe cleaner around it once (or twice). Make sure the ends are long enough to look like antlers. Now take one of the halves of the small pipe cleaner, wrap it around once to form the ends of the antler. Do the same with the other side.
2. Now comes the part my little ones love the most…
stick the eyes onto the ornament, using the hot glue gun or glue dots.
3. Hot glue or use glue dots to stick on the nose of your choice, to complete your sweet reindeer ornament.
You can use a red jewel,
a red pom-pom (guess who needs to buy more red pom-poms?!)
or wind a 1 inch long red pipe cleaner into a coil to form the nose.
My son’s Kinder teacher plans to do this as a class project with the kids in her class next year.
For more Pinterest remakes, here are a few of my favorite blogs:
- 5 minute Christmas ornament by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Snickerdoodle dairy free Christmas cookie recipe by Our Homemade Life
- Whipped Brown Chocolate Body Butter by Food Fun Family
- Popsicle Stick Snowflake Wreath by Mom Does it All
- Snowman Sugar Cookie Sticks by Sincerely, Mindy
- Skillet Apple Cranberry Crisp by Upstate Ramblings
- Beeswax Glitter Candle by Mom Always Finds Out
- DIY Framed Christmas Decor by Philzendia