If your little one is like my 5 year old then these cookies will be winners!
Bunny girl will not eat a cranberry as is nor will she just pop in a walnut or two. The only way I can get her to eat these healthy munchies is by hiding them…thus these Whoa Oatmeal Cookies!
They’re packed with all things you’d love your little one to eat and best of all she’ll wallop every last crumb without any persuasion!!
Whoa Oatmeal Cookies!
(Modified from Beth Swigert’s Spicy Oatmeal Recipe)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups instant or rolled oats (I use instant)
- 1 cup mix of chopped raisins, dates and cranberries
- 1 cup mix of almonds, cashews, walnuts and pecans
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the oats, dried fruit, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden in a preheated 350 degree oven. Do not overbake.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely.