My kids love any sort of pasta with marinara sauce. And till yesterday I’d buy my marinara sauce in ready-to-go bottles from the store. But not any more.
I finally found a marinara recipe that I tweaked to marry together my family’s taste preferences in one sauce!
Here’s hoping your family gives this one their unanimous seal of approval!
- 1 can (28 oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- ½-3/4 cup chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1½ lbs ground beef//turkey/lamb/chicken washed (I always wash my meat/poultry, even if its ground, before cooking the same)
- 1 box (13.25 oz) Multi-grain penne pasta
- Cook the penne pasta as per the directions on the box (or the way you generally cook your pasta!) and set it aside
- In a large saucepan, mix in all the remaining ingredients (including the meat/poultry) and cook on a low flame for about 20 minutes.
- Now add the shredded cheese and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cool, blend the sauce to really get all the ingredients infused into the other.
- Warm the sauce and pasta and serve with generous sprinkles of parmesan cheese.